History of Springdale Community Church
The late Reverend John D. Lewis founded the Shepherd Park Community Church of God (now Springdale Community Church) in 1976. Reverend Lewis and a small group from the Church of God at 1204 Third Street stepped out on faith hoping to begin a different type of ministry in the Shepherd Park neighborhood.
Reverend Lewis had great dreams for the “Church on the Corner.” He saw it as a place that embodied the idea of community expressed in its name. It would draw not only those who lived in the surrounding area, but also welcome those serving in the Armed forces at Walter Reed. In the late seventies, the church opened its doors with a service of praise unto God for His goodness.
In the early 1980’s, Reverend Lewis’ health began to decline. During this time parishioners rallied around Pastor Lewis providing him with love and support. Reverend W. Buford Hammond, then an Associate Minister at The Church of God at 1204 Third Street, arranged for ministers to preach at Shepherd Park when Reverend Lewis was unable to do so. In April of 1982, Reverend Lewis went Home to be with the Lord.
After much prayerful consideration, the congregation asked Reverend W. Buford Hammond to consider assuming the pastorate at Shepherd Park. Upon receiving confirmation from God, Reverend Hammond accepted the call and was installed as the second pastor of the Shepherd Park Community Church of God in 1983.
One of Pastor Hammond’s main thrust was to focus on building a core group of members who were committed to the work of the church in service and ministry. He accomplished these goals by working to build the church up spiritually and urging the church to cultivate a fervent prayer life. In exemplifying his personal level of commitment to God and the church, Reverend Hammond attained a Doctorate of Divinity in 1993.
In February of 1999, Rev. Dr. W. Buford Hammond announced to the Shepherd Park Church Family that he felt God’s leading to retire from pastoral ministry. These were somewhat anxious times for a church that had come to love, admire and respect their pastor so dearly.
It was not long after, however, that Shepherd Park’s quiet wonderings turned into joyous exclamations of “Lord, our Lord, how excellent is Thy Name…”
The cause for celebration came in May of 1999 when, after much prayer, Pastor Buford Hammond’s son, Reverend Howard K. Hammond, accepted the church’s invitation and God’s call to return from a pastorate in Timmonsville, South Carolina to become the third pastor of the Shepherd Park Community Church of God.
Pastor Howard K. Hammond assumed the pastorate of Shepherd Park on July 3, 1999 and God has been moving the church to higher heights ever since.
On March 15, 2013, God richly blessed Shepherd Park Community Church of God to purchase a new Worship Center located in Springdale, Maryland. To reflect our new beginning and our new location, the church changed its name to Springdale Community Church. Our first service was held on March 31, 2013 (Easter Sunday).